In my ongoing search for ways to make the Christmas season come alive for toddlers, I came across this idea: A paper chain countdown to Christmas! Each link of the chain contains a special holiday activity to do together as a family. I kept the activities simple; ideally, everything can be done with items on hand. My daughter and I had so much fun decorating the paper chain and I can’t wait to hang it in December and begin doing the holiday activities.
Here are the Christmas countdown activities included in the printable:
- Make hot cocoa and watch Frosty the Snowman
- Get on your PJs and go on a drive to see Christmas lights.
- Make paper snowflake decorations.
- Read How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
- Bake and deliver a special treat for your neighbors.
- Write a letter to Santa and mail it.
- Bake and decorate gingerbread men.
- Have a dance party with your favorite Christmas songs.
- Make a pinecone birdfeeder to leave out for the birds.
- Go shopping for a gift with mommy for daddy.
- Go shopping for a gift with daddy for mommy.
- Have a Christmas carol karaoke night with the family.
- Find three toys that you no longer play with to give to a charity.
- Read On the Night Before Christmas.
- Decorate blank postcards together to use as thank you notes after the holidays.
- Make a list of three gifts you would like everyone in the world to receive.
- Have a snowball fight using real snow (or balled up socks).
- Make a phone call or video call to a friend or family member you willl not get to see this holiday.
- Set out hot cocoa in a to-go cup for the mailman.
- Make a handprint wreath by tracing your child’s hand and cutting out several copies to arrange into a circle. Let them decorate it with stickers.
- Decorate the tree together (even little hands can hang candy canes on the branches).
- Take a picture of the kids in their pajamas near the Christmas tree.
- Write a special note to thank your teacher or Sunday school teacher.
- Make a birthday cake for Jesus.
There is also room for you to switch some out and include your own family traditions. As you remove a link of the chain each day, your child will see that Christmas is getting closer and closer!