The cookout is over and the friends have gone home. The hot dogs and brats were all gobbled up, but you have half a bag of buns left. What do you do?!?
My kids look forward to this problem because we turn our leftover hot dog buns into delicious garlic bread for pasta night and they LOVE it. It is the easiest thing, kids can help, and it saves food waste. I hope it will be a new favorite at your house, too.
So, So Easy Garlic Bread
- Separate each leftover bun into two halves. (If they are like most post-cook-out buns, they’ve already fallen apart anyway.)
- Line up the bun halves on a cookie sheet with the center section facing up.
- Coat each piece with cooking spray. (You can also individually butter the buns, but who has time for that.)
- Sprinkle with garlic powder. (It can be spicy, so a little bit goes a long way.)
- Add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and some Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese for cheesy garlic bread, if desired.
Turn the oven broiler on to the lowest setting. Pop in the cookie sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes or until brown and crusty around the edges (or cheese is brown and bubbly on top).